Ramadan, the holy month of fasting, charity, introspection and prayers is celebrated with much fanfare across Abu Dhabi. To revel in the festival, the emirate organizes various activities, charity programs, Iftar meals and Islamic lectures for fasting Muslims and tourists.
* The Iftar meal is a prominent symbol of Ramadan spirit which is all about giving and sharing. Many Iftar tents are set up besides mosques across Abu Dhabi to offer free meal to people who want to break their fast at dusk.
The thought behind these tents is that nobody should hungry after dusk and people from all walks of life regardless of their religion & social status should come together to rejoice in the festival.
Most of the Muslims break their fast at home or gatherings organized by friends and relatives. But the poor people visit these tents where nonprofit organizations and the Abu Dhabi government offer free Iftar meals.
* Charity is an important aspect of Ramadan as it is mandatory for Muslims to give a small percentage of their savings as alms to the poor and needy.
Mentioned in the five pillars of Islam, Zakat al-Fitr, meaning charity, is observed at the end of fasting in the holy month of Ramadan. Families contribute to various charity programs, prepare free Iftar meals and offer basic food items at low-cost.
They even contribute to the needs of the underprivileged by sponsoring the studies of students, providing help to poor, widowed women and deprived families.
* The religious importance of Ramadan is highlighted by the Abu Dhabi government who arranges for various Islamic lectures by noted Muslim scholars from around the world.
They deliver lectures on the Quran, the significance of fasting and other Islamic core issues related to the society. The program is held at various mosques across Abu Dhabi, starting with the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque of Abu Dhabi.
* Ramadan followed by Eid al-Fitr festivals will be ceremonialized with great merry-making by hotels, entertainment venues, malls and government through a variety of cultural events and lectures.
Holy Quran recitation contests, sale of various consumer products and traditional dance & song shows take place throughout the festival.
* Sports events such as football championships are also organized in the emirate to commemorate Ramadan. It promotes enthusiasm, vigor and healthy sportsmanship sprit in youngsters as well as social responsibility.
To know more about Ramadan activities, visit Abu Dhabi this month. Check with the front desk at the residential hotel in Abu Dhabi for events where you could take part.